|Synonyms||Ruthenium Dye Z907|
|HOMO / LUMO||HOMO = -5.4 eV, LUMO = -3.8 eV|
|Solubility||Acetonitrile/tert-butanol (v/v = 1:1); DMSO|
|Classification / Family||Transition metal complex, Ruthenium complex, Bipyridyl ligands, Energy materials, Dye-sensitized solar cells DSSC) materials, Donor materials, OPV materials.|
|Melting point||Melting point/range: 196 °C|
|Appearance||Black crystalline powder|
Z-907 dye, (cis-Ru(H2dcbpy)(dnbpy)(NCS)2, where the ligand H2dcbpy is 4,4′-dicarboxylic acid-2, 2′-bipyridine and dnbpy is 4,4′-dinonyl-2,2′-bipyridine, is amphiphilic nature while the introduction of the two hydrophobic alkyl chains on the bipyridyl ligand is critical to provide an insulating barrier to avoid charge carrier recombination and also help enhance thermal stability.
It was reported that DSSC with Z907 and hexadecyl phosphonic acid adsorbing maintained 7% efficiency for as long as 1,000 hours ageing test at 80 oC .
Literature and Reviews
- Molecular-Scale Interface Engineering of TiO2 Nanocrystals: Improve the Efficiency and Stability of Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells, P. Wang et al., Adv. Mater., 15 (24) 2101-2104 (2003); DOI: 10.1002/adma.200306084.
- A stable quasi-solid-state dye-sensitized solar cell with an amphiphilic ruthenium sensitizer and polymer gel electrolyte, P. Wang et al., Nat. Mater., 2, 402 - 407 (2003); doi:10.1038/nmat904.
- High efficiency dye-sensitized nanocrystalline solar cells based on ionic liquid polymer gel electrolyte, P. Wang et al., Chem. Commun., 2972-2973 (2002); DOI: 10.1039/B209322G.
- High-Efficiency Solid-State Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells Based on TiO2-Coated ZnO Nanowire Arrays, C. Xu et al., Nano Lett., 12 (5), 2420–2424 (2012); DOI: 10.1021/nl3004144.
- Efficiency improvement in solid-state-dye-sensitized photovoltaics with an amphiphilic Ruthenium-dye, L. Schmidt-Mende et al., Appl. Phys. Lett. 86, 013504 (2005); doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.1844032.