Tantalum Disulfide (TaS2) Powder and Crystal
CAS Number 12143-72-5
Fast and secure
Please choose the appropriate MSDS from the list below. Links will open in a new window. If your browser does not support PDFs, you will be prompted to download the file instead.
Low price, high purity 2D metal tantalum disulfide powder and crystals
For the development of next-generation electronics, optoelectronics, and nanotechnology
Tantalum disulfide (TaS2) is a family member of two-dimensional (2D) metallic transition metal dichalcogenides (MTMDCs). It is of great research interest due to its rich phase diagrams that include superconductivity, charge-density wave (CDW), and metal-insulator transitions.
Tantalum disulfide crystal have stacked layers, in which sheets of transition metal atoms lie between the chalcogen atom sheets in an S-Ta-S sequence. Layered TaS2 exhibits a unique combination of valuable structural, mechanical, and electronic phases. 1T and 2H phases are the most representative structures.
Coexistence of CDW order and superconductivity has been found in atomically-thin TaS2. Such properties are mainly attributed to its reduced dimensionality and the induced quantum confinement effect. Reduced dimensionality can strengthen superconductivity in the case of thin TaS2, as opposed to the weakening effect that has been found in other 2D materials.
Bulk 2H-TaS2 exhibits a charge density wave (CDW) transition at 70K and a superconductivity transition at 0.8K .
We supply low price tantalum disulfide in several different forms for a range of applications.
≥99.999% TaS2 Crystal
Quick and reliable shipping
Low Cost TaS2
Powder & Crystal
Different Forms of Tantalum Disulfide
Tantalum Disulfide Powder
Can be used for preparation of tantalum disulfide nanoplates and ultrathin films
Sold by weight
Tantalum Disulfide Crystals by Size
Can be used to produce single or few-layer tantalum disulfide sheets via mechanical or liquid exfoliation
Small (≥10 mm2) or medium (≥25 mm2) crystals available*
*Typical representative size, areas/dimensions may vary
Bulk single tantalum disulfide crystal is most commonly used as sources from which single or few-layer sheets can be obtained via either mechanical or liquid exfoliation.
Platinum FET Test Chips for 2D Materials
- World-Wide Shipping
- Dual Channel Electrodes
Buy Online £200
Tantalum disulfide powder can also be used to prepare TaS2 nanosheets and nanoparticles by liquid-exfoliation (normally assisted by sonication). Copper, lead, tin and lithium can be intercalated between the layers tantalum disulfide especially for superconducting transition temperature investigations.
Key Product Data
- High purity, low price tantalum disulfide
- Available as a powder or as individual crystals
- Can be used to produce single or few-layer sheets
- Free worldwide shipping on qualifying orders
Structure of Tantalum Disulfide
Tantalum disulfide (TaS2) crystal has stacked layers, in which sheets of transition metal atoms lie between the chalcogen atom sheets in an S-Ta-S sequence. In each sheet, atoms are closely packed in a hexagonal pattern. The chemical bonding within the layer is covalent, while individual layers are bound by van der Waals (vdWs). This makes intercalation between layers possible and allows layers to be peeled off by exfoliation.
Layered TaS2 exhibits a unique combination of valuable structural, mechanical, and electronic phases. 1T and 2H phases are the most representative structures. The distinction between two phases can be the S-Ta-S coordinated situations, which are recognised as octahedral coordination (1T) and prismatic coordination (2H).
Properties of 2D Tantalum Disulfide
After exfoliation of crystals or powder, tantalum disulfide typically has the following properties:
- Family member of two-dimensional (2D) metallic transition metal dichalcogenides (MTMDCs)
- Hexagonal (2H) structure (space group: P63/mmc)
- Coexistence of CDW order and superconductivity in atomically-thin TaS2 with a charge density wave (CDW) transition at 70 K and a superconductivity transition at 0.8 K
Applications of Tantalum Disulfide
Tantalum disulfide single crystals can be used to prepare monolayer and few-layer TaS2 by mechanical or liquid exfoliation. Tantalum disulfide powder is suitable for liquid chemical exfoliation to prepare TaS2 nanosheets and nanoparticles down to few-layer films.
2H-Tantalum disulfide has been used for the investigation of fundamental physical phenomena such as CDW associated with the dimensionality effect. TaS2 powder can also be exfoliated into ultra-thin films by liquid chemical exfoliation to explore its superconductivity.
2H-Tantalum disulfide has been used for the investigation of fundamental physical phenomena such as CDW associated with the dimensionality effect. Metallic 2H-TaS2 has also been proven to be an efﬁcient electrocatalyst for the hydrogen evolution reactions (HER), with a performance that is comparable to platinum, owing to its abundant active sites concentrated at edges and basal-planes, as well as the self-optimising morphological change of 2H-TaS2.
Tantalum disulfide powder can be used to grow large-area uniform, thickness-controllable 2H-TaS2 films and domains for the investigation of fundamental physical phenomena (such as CWD). TaS2 powder can also be exfoliated into ultra-thin films by liquid chemical exfoliation to explore its superconductivity.
Literature and Reviews
- Enhanced superconductivity in atomically thin TaS2, E. Navarro-Moratalla et al., Nat. Commun., 7:11043 (2016); DOI: 10.1038/ncomms11043.
- Enhanced superconductivity upon weakening of charge density wave transport in 2H-TaS2 in the two-dimensional limit, Y. Yang et al., Phys. Rev., 98, 035203 (2018); DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.98.035203.
- Toward Exploring the Structure of Monolayer to Few-layer TaS2 by Efficient Ultrasound-free Exfoliation, Y. Hu et al., Nanoscale Res. Lett., 13:20 (2018); DOI 10.1186/s11671-018-2439-z.
- Three-dimensional resistivity and switching between correlated electronic states in 1T-TaS2, D. Svetin et al., 7:46048 (2017); DOI: 10.1038/srep46048.
- Two-dimensional metallic tantalum disulfide as a hydrogen evolution catalyst, J. Shi et al., Nat. Commun. 8, 958 (2017); DOI: 10.1038/s41467-017-01089-z.
- Enhancement of superconductivity under pressure and the magnetic phase diagram of tantalum disulfide single crystals, M. Abdel-Hafiez et al., Sci. Rep., 6, 31824 (2016); DOI: 10.1038/srep31824.
- 2H→1T Phase Engineering of Layered Tantalum Disulfides in Electrocatalysis: Oxygen Reduction Reaction, J. Luxa et al., Chem.Eur.J.,23,8082 –8091 (2017); DOI:10.1002/chem.201701494.
|Synthetic - Chemical Vapour Transport (CVT)
|2D CDW materials
|Dithioxotantalum, Tantalum(IV) sulfide, Bis(sulfanylidene)tantalum
|Classification / Family
|Transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDCs), 2D charge density wave (CDW) materials, Nano-electronics, Nano-photonics, Superconductivity, Photovoltaic, Materials science
|Small (≥10 mm2)
|Medium (≥25 mm2)
*typical representative size, areas/dimensions may vary
To the best of our knowledge the information provided here is accurate. The values provided are typical at the time of manufacture and may vary over time and from batch to batch. Products may have minor cosmetic differences (e.g. to the branding) compared to the photos on our website. All products are for laboratory and research and development use only.