Niobium diselenide (NbSe2) Powder and Crystals
Low price, high purity 2D metal niobium diselenide powder and crystals
For the development of next-generation electronics, optoelectronics, and nanotechnology
Niobium diselenide (NbSe2) belongs to group-V two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDCs). It is one of the intensively studied TMDCs due to the particular coexistence of charge-density waves (TCDW = 33 K) and superconductivity (TC = 7.2 K) in atomically thin NbSe2 nanosheets at low temperatures.
Bulk NbSe2 has a lamellar crystal architecture to form a two-dimensional hexagonal lattice. Each monolayer NbSe2 is composed of three layers of atoms, a niobium layer sandwiched between two selenide layers with a covalent bond between Nb and Se in the Se–Nb–Se sequence. Each Nb atom sits inside a trigonal prismatic cage formed by six nearest neighbouring Se atoms while the Nb atoms form a perfect hexagonal close-packed structure.
NbSe2 has low ion diffusion barrier when applied in energy-storage systems, such as traditional lithium-ion batteries, and novel sodium-ion batteries (SIBs) and magnesium-ion batteries (MIBs). Exfoliated NbSe2 nanoparticles and nanosheets find applications as electrodes for solar cells, catalysts for chemical reactions and hydrogen evolution reactions (HER), conducting lubricant in vacuum and various nonlinear and optoelectronics devices.
We supply low price niobium diselenide in several different forms for a range of applications.
Niobium diselenide powder
Can be used for preparation of niobium diselenide nanoplates and ultrathin films
Sold by weight
≥ 99.995% purity
Niobium diselenide crystals by size
Can be used to produce single or few-layer niobium diselenide sheets via mechanical or liquid exfoliation
Small (≥10mm2) or medium (≥25mm2) crystals available*
≥ 99.999% purity
*Typical representative size, areas/dimensions may vary
Bulk single niobium diselenide crystals are most commonly used as sources from which single or few-layer sheets can be obtained via either mechanical or liquid exfoliation. Single niobium diselenide crystal or films produced from such crystals are suitable for study using atomic force microscopy or transmission electron microscopy.
Perform electrical and optical measurements without expensive lithography equipment
- Platinum FET test chips optimized for 2D materials, just £149.00
- Developed with researchers in the field to speed up research
- Simplifies electrical measurements on small 2D crystals
- Transfer your crystal across the channel and start measuring
Niobium diselenide powder can also be used to prepare NbSe2 nanosheets and nanoparticles by liquid-exfoliation (normally assisted by sonication or microwave heating). Foreign elements or materials can be intercalated into niobium diselenide layered structure to change its conductivity, heat capacity and superconductivity.
Key Product Data
- High purity, low price niobium diselenide
- Available as a powder or as individual crystals
- Can be used to produce single or few-layer sheets
- Free worldwide shipping on qualifying orders
Structure and Properties of 2D Niobium Diselenide
Exfoliated niobium diselenide typically has the following properties:
- NbSe2 (2H and 3R) is a metal, 2H-NbSe2 polytype is known to be superconducting with a critical temperature of Tc ≈ 7.2 K while 3R-NbSe2 is not superconducting.
- Monolayer 1T-NbSe2 was found to be a Mott insulator, with an energy gap of 0.4 eV.
- Particular coexistence of charge-density waves and superconductivity at low temperatures
- Observation of Ising superconductivity and strong enhancement of charge
density wave order with reduced dimension.
Applications of Niobium Diselenide
Niobium diselenide single crystals can be used to prepare ultrathin nanosheets, ie.e monolayer and few-layer NbSe2 by mechanical or liquid exfoliation, while niobium diselenide powder is suitable for liquid chemical exfoliation to prepare NbSe2 nanosheets and nanoparticles down to few-layer films. Niobium diselenide powder is also good for intercalations to fill the gap between layers with different foreign materials and ions to improve its physical properties for different applications.
|Molecular weight||250.83 g/mol|
|Preparation||Synthetic - Chemical Vapour Transport (CVT)|
|Electronic properties||2D metal and superconductor|
|Melting point||>1300 °C|
|Synonyms||Niobium (IV) selenide, Columbium selenide, Bis(selanylidene)niobium.|
|Classification / Family||Transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDCs), 2D Semiconductor materials, Charge Density Wave (CDW), Hydrogen Revolution Reactions (HER), Nano-electronics, Nano-photonics, Photovoltaic, Materials science|
|Niobium Diselenide Powder||≥ 99.995%|
|Niobium Diselenide Crystal||≥ 99.999%|
Structure of Niobium Diselenide
Bulk NbSe2 exhibits three stacking polytypes: 2H, 4H, and 3R phases and its monolayer 1T-NbSe2 phase is a Mott insulator.Bulk NbSe2 crystallizes into the 2H phase (trigonal prismatic structure, D3h) and 2H-NbSe2 is metallic layered material. Nb atoms are surrounded by Se atoms following a trigonal prismatic coordination with Nb being located in the centre of the trigonal prismatic sites. The Se-Nb-Se layers that make up each packet are covalently bound. The coupling between pairs of packets is bound by van der Waals forces.
Applications of Niobium Diselenide
Niobium diselenide single crystal can be used to prepare monolayer and few-layer NbSe2 by mechanical or liquid exfoliation. Niobium Diselenide powder is suitable for liquid chemical exfoliation to prepare NbSe2 nanosheets and nanoparticles down to few-layer films. High quality 2D NbSe2 nanosheets (NSs) can be successfully produced via an ultrasonic-assisted liquid phase exfoliation (LPE) from bulk NbSe2 powder in ethanol.
Exfoliated two-dimensional NbSe2 micro/nanoparticles show great lubricating property with low friction coefficient (0.3), mild wear, and longer wear lifetime (120 min). Intercalated layered NbSe2 demonstrates excellent cycle stability and rate performance for either sodium or lithium storage, showing great potential as anode for batteries. Porous NbSe2 nanosheets is a great potential electrocatalytic material candidate for hydrogen evolution reactions (HERs). NbSe2 single-crystalline nanosheets array photodetectors give very high responsibility and external quantum efficiency to UV-light.
Pricing Table (All)
|Crystal (2H-NbSe2)||Small (≥ 10 mm2)||M2302C1||£395.00 ea.|
|Crystal (2H-NbSe2)||Medium (≥ 25 mm2)||M2302C1||£638.00 ea.|
*typical representative size, areas/dimensions may vary
Shipping is free for qualifying orders.
Literature and Reviews
- High-quality monolayer superconductor NbSe2 grown by chemical vapour deposition, H. Wang et al., Nat. Commun., 8, 394 (2017); DOI: 10.1038/s41467-017-00427-5.
- Anisotropic band splitting in monolayer NbSe2: implications for superconductivity and charge density wave, Y. Nakata et al., npj 2D Mater Appl 2, 12 (2018); DOI: 10.1038/s41699-018-0057-3.
- Signature of coexistence of superconductivity and ferromagnetism in two-dimensional NbSe2 triggered by surface molecular adsorption, X. Zhu et al., Nat. Commun., 7, 11210 (2017); DOI: 10.1038/ncomms11210.
- Ising pairing in superconducting NbSe2 atomic layers, X. Xi et al., Nat. Phys. 12, 139–143 (2016); DOI: 10.1038/nphys3538.
- Strongly enhanced charge-density-wave order in monolayer NbSe2, X. Xi et al., Nat. Nanotech, 10, 765–769 (2015); DOI: 10.1038/nnano.2015.143.
- Interlayer breathing and shear modes in NbSe2 atomic layers, R. He et al., 2D Mater., 3, 031008 (2016); DOI: 10.1088/2053-1583/3/3/031008.
- Electrochemical Intercalation of Lithium Ions into NbSe2 Nanosheets, E. Hitz et al., ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 8, 11390−11395 (2016); DOI: 10.1021/acsami.5b11583.
- Ising Superconductivity and Quantum Phase Transition in Macro-Size Monolayer NbSe2, Y. Xing et al., Nano Lett., 17, 11, 6802–6807 (2017); DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.7b03026.
- Unusual suppression of the superconducting energy gap and critical temperature in atomically thin NbSe2, E. Khestanova et al., Nano Lett., 18, 4, 2623–2629 (2018); DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.8b00443.
- Electronic transport in NbSe2 two-dimensional nanostructures: semiconducting characteristics and photoconductivity, Y. Huang et al., Nanoscale, 7, 18964 (2015); DOI: 10.1039/c5nr05430c.
- Lithium- and Magnesium-Storage Mechanisms of Novel Hexagonal NbSe2, C. Peng et al., ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 10, 36988−36995 (2018); DOI: 10.1021/acsami.8b12662.
- Safe-by-Design Exfoliation of Niobium Diselenide Atomic Crystals as a Theory-Oriented 2D Nanoagent from Anti-Inflammation to Antitumor, Z. Miao et al., Adv. Funct. Mater. 2020, 2001593 (2020); DOI: 10.1002/adfm.20200159.
To the best of our knowledge the information provided here is accurate. However, Ossila assume no liability for the accuracy of this page. The values provided are typical at the time of manufacture and may vary over time and from batch to batch. All products are for laboratory and research and development use only, and may not be used for any other purpose including health care, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, food or commercial applications.