N749 Black Dye
N749, [(C4H9)4N]3[Ru(Htcterpy)(NCS)3], also referred to as "black dye", was developed for the widest range spectral sensitisation of wide band-gap oxide semiconductors (like titanium dioxide up to wavelengths beyond 800nm). N749 black dye is a ruthenium complex, in which the ruthenium center contains one terpyridine ligand substituted with three carboxyl groups and three thiocyanato ligands
Despite its lower absorption extinction coefficient, a certified conversion efficiency of 11.1 % was achieved by employing a high-haze TiO2 electrode.
|Synonyms||N749 Dye, Black dye, Ruthenium 620|
|HOMO / LUMO||HOMO = -5.2 eV, LUMO = -3.8 eV|
|Solubility||Ethanol or acetonitrile/tert-butanol (v/v = 1)|
|Classification / Family||Transition metal complex, Ruthenium complex, Bipyridyl ligands, Energy materials, Dye-sensitized solar cells DSSC) materials, Donor materials, OPV materials.|
|Melting point||No data available|
|Appearance||Dark green powder|
Literature and Reviews
- Engineering of Efficient Panchromatic Sensitizers for Nanocrystalline TiO2-Based Solar Cells, M. K. Nazeeruddin et al., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 123 (8), 1613–1624 (2001); DOI: 10.1021/ja003299u.
- Acetonitrile Solution Effect on Ru N749 Dye Adsorption and Excitation at TiO2 Anatase Interface, Y. Tateyama et al., J. Phys. Chem. C, 118 (30), 16863–16871 (2014); DOI: 10.1021/jp5004006.
- Protonated Carboxyl Anchor for Stable Adsorption of Ru N749 Dye (Black Dye) on a TiO2 Anatase (101) Surface, K. Sodeyama et al., J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 3 (4), 472–477 (2012); DOI: 10.1021/jz201583n.
- Selective positioning of organic dyes in a mesoporous inorganic oxide film, K. Lee et al., Nat. Mater., 8, 665-671 (2009); doi:10.1038/nmat2475.
- Significant Efficiency Improvement of the Black Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell through Protonation of TiO2 Films, Z. Wang et al., Langmuir, 21 (10), 4272–4276 (2005); DOI: 10.1021/la050134w.
To the best of our knowledge the information provided here is accurate. However, Ossila assume no liability for the accuracy of this page. The values provided are typical at the time of manufacture and may vary over time and from batch to batch. All products are for laboratory and research and development use only, and may not be used for any other purpose including health care, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, food or commercial applications.