Di-tetrabutylammonium cis-bis(isothiocyanato)bis(2,2′-bipyridyl-4,4′-dicarboxylato)ruthenium(II), N719 dye, is the ammonium salt of N3 dye. With changes to increase cell voltage and solubility in polar solvents comparing with N3 dye, N719 dye is also one of the most common high performance dyes that are developed for DSSC solar cells.
N719 dye has the following features:
- Increased electrostatic binding onto the TiO2 surface at lower pH values
- Incresed stability
- Increased oxidation potential leading to deeper HOMO energy levels and enhanced stability
|Full name||Di-tetrabutylammonium cis-bis(isothiocyanato)bis(2,2′-bipyridyl-4,4′-dicarboxylato)ruthenium(II)|
|Synonyms||N719 standard Dye|
|HOMO / LUMO||HOMO = -6.01 eV, LUMO = -3.64 eV |
|Solubility||Ethanol or acetonitrile/tert-butanol (1:1, v:v)|
|Classification / Family||Transition metal complex, Ruthenium complex, Bipyridyl ligands, Energy materials, Dye-sensitized solar cell (DSSC) materials, Donor materials, OPV materials.|
|Melting point||250 - 260 °C|
|Appearance||Brownish-red (maroon) crystalline powder|
Literature and Reviews
- All-solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells with high efficiency, I. Chung et al., Nature, 485, 486–489 (2012); doi:10.1038/nature11067.
- Amphiphilic Ruthenium Sensitizers and Their Applications in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells, C. Klein et al., Inorg. Chem., 43 (14), 4216–4226 (2004); DOI: 10.1021/ic049906m.
- Energy barrier at the N719-dye/CsSnI3 interface for photogenerated holes in dye-sensitized solar cells, J. Zhang et al., Sci. Reports 4, 6954 (2014); doi:10.1038/srep06954.
- Effect of dye concentration on electron injection efficiency in nanocrystalline TiO2 films sensitized with N719 dye, R. Katoh et al., Chem. Phys. Lett., 511 (4-6), 336-339 (2011); doi:10.1016/j.cplett.2011.06.046.
To the best of our knowledge the information provided here is accurate. However, Ossila assume no liability for the accuracy of this page. The values provided are typical at the time of manufacture and may vary over time and from batch to batch. All products are for laboratory and research and development use only, and may not be used for any other purpose including health care, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, food or commercial applications.