Iron Phosphorus Trisulfide (FePS3) Powder and Crystals
Low price, high purity iron phosphorus trisulfide powder and crystals
Suitable for the creation of monolayer and few-layer films, nanosheets and nanoparticle magnetic graphene
Iron phosphorus trisulfide (FePS3) belongs to the family of transition metal phosphorus trichalcogenides (MPX3). FePS3 contains Fe, S and P which are all earth abundant elements. In its bulk form, FePS3 is a layer structured antiferromagnetic semiconductor and can be exfoliated into few-layer 2D nanosheets. It is commonly referred to as 'magnetic graphene'.
FePS3 is a good example of a low-temperature 2D antiferromagnetic insulator that can be tuned with pressure into an exotic metallic state. Under compression, the layered structure simultaneously undergoes large in-plane lattice collapses, abrupt spin-crossovers and insulator-metal transitions. Raman spectroscopy reveals that FePS3 exhibits an Ising-type antiferromagnetic ordering down to the monolayer limit, suggesting that intra-layer spin interaction dominates the magnetic structure of FePS3.
We supply low price iron phosphorus trisulfide - or magnetic graphene - powder and crystals.
Iron phosphorus trisulfide powder
Can be used for preparation of iron phosphorus trisulfide nanoplates and ultrathin films
Available in 1g quantities
≥ 99.995% purity
Iron phosphorus trisulfide crystals
Can be used to produce single or few-layer iron phosphorus trisulfide sheets via mechanical or liquid exfoliation
Small (≥10mm2) or medium (≥25mm2) crystals available*
≥ 99.999% purity
*Typical representative size, areas/dimensions may vary
Bulk single iron phosphorus trisulfide crystal is most commonly used as sources from which single or few-layer sheets can be obtained via either mechanical or liquid exfoliation. Single iron phosphorus trisulfide crystals, or films produced from such crystals, are suitable for study using atomic force microscopy or transmission electron microscopy.
Few-layer FePS3 nanosheets and nanoparticles can also obtained from iron phosphorus trisulfide powder by liquid-exfoliation.
Key Product Data
- High purity, low price iron phosphorus trisulfide
- Magnetic material with 2D structure (hence 'magnetic graphene')
- Available in powdered or crystal form
Structure and Properties
After exfoliation of iron phosphorus trisulfide crystal or powder, FePS3 typically has the following properties:
- Monoclinic (space group: C2/m)
- Transition metal phosphorus trichalcogenides (MPX3)
- Antiferromagnetic semiconductor with Ising-type antiferromagnetic ordering down to the monolayer limit
- Insulator-metal transitions under compression
Iron phosphorus trisulfide (FePS3) single crystals can be used to prepare monolayer and few-layer FePS3 by mechanical or liquid exfoliation. The powdered form is suitable for liquid chemical exfoliation to prepare nanosheets and nanoparticles down to few-layer films.
Perform electrical and optical measurements without expensive lithography equipment
- Platinum FET test chips optimized for 2D materials, just £149.00
- Developed with researchers in the field to speed up research
- Simplifies electrical measurements on small 2D crystals
- Transfer your crystal across the channel and start measuring
Iron phosphorus trisulfide quantum sheets are excellent and highly stable trifunctional electrocatalyst for hydrogen evolution, oxygen evolution, and oxygen reduction reactions. Iron phosphorus trisulfide has great potential in robust data storage and high-speed data processing applications, as well as applications in energy generation and storage.
|CAS number||Not available|
|Molecular weight||183.01 g/mol|
|Bandgap||1.0 - 1.5 eV |
|Preparation||Synthetic - Chemical Vapour Transport (CVT)|
|Electronic properties||2D Magnetic semiconductor|
|Melting point||Not available|
|Synonyms||Iron trithiohypophosphate, magnetic graphene|
|Classification / Family||2D layered transition metal phosphorus trichalcogenides (MPX3), magnetic semiconductor, nano-electronics, nano-photonics, photovoltaic, materials science|
Iron Phosphorus Trisulfide Powder
|Iron Phosphorus Trisulfide Crystal||≥ 99.999%|
Structure of Iron Phosphorus Trisulfide
FePS3 is a cation-ordered CdCl2 type low-dimensional layered magnetic semiconductor. FePS3 crystal has a monoclinic structure with the factor group C2h. In each unit cell, the magnetic Fe atoms are octahedrally coordinated to six S atoms with a small trigonal distortion. The P atom is coordinated to three S atoms and one P atom to form a [P2S6]4- unit. The [P2S6]4- units are connected with six Fe atoms, which are arranged in a honeycomb plane structure.
Iron phosphorus trisulfide quantum sheets are excellent and highly stable trifunctional electrocatalyst for hydrogen evolution, oxygen evolution, and oxygen reduction reactions. Magnetic graphene has great potential in robust data storage and high-speed data processing applications, as well as applications in energy generation and storage.
Processing of Magnetic Graphene
Viscoelastic transfer using PDMS
Pricing Table (All)
|Crystal||Small (≥ 10 mm2)||M2207A10||£395.00 ea.|
|Crystal||Medium (≥ 25 mm2)||M2207A25||£638.00 ea.|
*typical representative size, areas/dimensions may vary
Shipping is free for qualifying orders.
Literature and Reviews
- Metal-insulator transition in Mott-insulator FePS3, M. Tsurubayashi et al., AIP Adv., 8, 101307 (2018); doi: 10.1063/1.5043121.
- Crystallographic and magnetic properties of van der Waals layered FePS3 crystal, Q. Xie et al., Chin. Phys. B, 28 (5), 056102 (2019); DOI: 10.1088/1674-1056/28/5/056102.
- Layered Trichalcogenidophosphate: A New Catalyst Family for Water Splitting, C. Du et al., Nano-Micro Lett., 10:67 (2018); doi: 10.1007/s40820-018-0220-6.
- Fabrication and Characterization Single Crystal of FePS3 Layered Material, A. El-Meligi et al., IARJSET, 117-120 (2015); DOI 10.17148/IARJSET.2015.21221.
- Magnetic structure and magnon dynamics of the quasi-two-dimensional antiferromagnet FePS3, D. Lancon et al., Phys. Rev. B, 94, 214407 (2016); DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.94.214407.
- Magnetic Isotropy/Anisotropy in Layered Metal Phosphorous Trichalcogenide MPS3 (M = Mn, Fe)Single Crystals, Z. Rehman et al., Micromachines, 9, 292 (2018); doi:10.3390/mi9060292.
- Ising-Type Magnetic Ordering in Atomically Thin FePS3, J. Lee et al., Nano Lett., 16 (12), 7433-7438 (2016); doi: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.6b03052.
- Two Dimensional, Few Layer Phosphochalcogenide, FePS3: A New Catalyst For Electrochemical Hydrogen Evolution Over Wide pH Range, D. Mukherjee et al., ACS Energy Lett., 1 (2), 367-372 (2016); DOI: 10.1021/acsenergylett.6b00184.
- Pressure-Induced Electronic and Structural Phase Evolution in the van der Waals Compound FePS3, C. Haines et al., Phys. Rev. Lett., 121, 266801 (2018); DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.121.266801.
- Emergent superconductivity in an iron-based honeycomb lattice initiated by pressure-driven spin-crossover, Y. Wang et al., Nat. Commun., 9, 1914 (2018); DOI: 10.1038/s41467-018-04326-1.
- Raman spectroscopy of atomically thin two-dimensional magnetic iron phosphorus trisulfide (FePS3) crystals, X. Wang et al., 2D Mater. 3, 031009 (2016); doi: 10.1088/2053-1583/3/3/031009.
To the best of our knowledge the information provided here is accurate. However, Ossila assume no liability for the accuracy of this page. The values provided are typical at the time of manufacture and may vary over time and from batch to batch. All products are for laboratory and research and development use only, and may not be used for any other purpose including health care, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, food or commercial applications.