Benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene is a planar symmetrical molecular structure of the thiophene derivative, enabling a better π-π stacking and good electron delocalization that encourages charge transport. In recent years, it has been intensively studied for the application of OFETs and OPVs. The incorporation of a low-band-gap unit into the benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene unit could potentially result in a red-shifted absorption due to its electron-rich properties. Benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene can be chemically modified to fine-tune its chemical structure and electron properties (e.g. band gap), energy levels, and charge mobility of the small molecule/polymers of interest (at a molecular level).
Benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene (BDT) backboned polymers or small molecules thus provides a relatively better device performance. The following is a good example of a finely tuned structure being synthesised with Benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene as a starting material.
|Molecular weight||220.26 g/mol|
|Classification / Family||Thiophenes, Monomers, Building blocks, Carbazoles, Heterocycles, Polymer synthesis, Semiconductor synthesis, Intermediates for high performance, Organic Photovoltaics|
NMR Characterisation (example)
Literature and Reviews
- Utilizing alkoxyphenyl substituents for side-chain engineering of efficient benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b′]dithiophene-based small molecule organic solar cells, Z. Du, et al., Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 17, 17391-17398 (2015)
- Thieno[3,2‑b]thiophene-Substituted Benzo[1,2‑b:4,5‑b′]dithiophene as a Promising Building Block for Low Bandgap Semiconducting Polymers for High-Performance Single and Tandem Organic Photovoltaic Cells, J-H. Kim, et al., Chem. Mater., 26, 1234−1242 (2014)
- New Benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene-Based Small Molecules Containing Alkoxyphenyl Side Chains for High Efficiency Solution-Processed Organic Solar Cells, Z. Du, et al., ChemSusChem, 7, 3319 – 3327 (2014)
- Polybenzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene Derivative with Deep HOMO Level and Its Application in High-Performance Polymer Solar Cells, L. Huo et al., Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 49, 1500 –1503 (2010)
- Bandgap and Molecular Energy Level Control of Conjugated Polymer Photovoltaic Materials Based on Benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b′]dithiophene, J. Hou et al., Macromolecules, 41, 6012-6018 (2008)
To the best of our knowledge the information provided here is accurate. However, Ossila assume no liability for the accuracy of this page. The values provided are typical at the time of manufacture and may vary over time and from batch to batch. All products are for laboratory and research and development use only, and may not be used for any other purpose including health care, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, food or commercial applications.