Tin Diselenide Powder
|Molecular weight||276.63 g/mol|
|Bandgap||1.07 - 1.69 eV |
|Synonyms||Tin (IV) Selenide, Stannic Selenide|
|Classification / Family||Transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDCs), 2D Semiconductor Materials, NIR band-gap, Nano-electronics, Nano-photonics, Transistors, Photovoltaics, Material science|
|Preparation||Synthetic - chemical vapour transport (CVT)|
|Electronic properties||2D semiconductor|
|Melting point||650 °C|
Tin diselenide (SnSe2) is a family member of two-dimensional layered transitinal metal dichalcogenides semiconductors. Within each layer, every six selenium atoms are located at the corners of an octahedron, and feature an inversion symmetry (with respect to the central tin atom). The layered structure (bound by the weak Van der Waals forces) allows exfoliation in both solid and liquid forms to peel off layers from bulk crystals or powder.
Outperforming most other 2D layered materials (such as MoS2 and WSe2), atomic layered SnSe2 exhibits high photoresponsivity and a very fast rise and fall response speed. This shows that few-layer SnSe2 is a promising active 2D material for electronic and optoelectronic applications.
With a layered structure, exfoliated thin-films from tin diselenide (SnSe2) powder offer new opportunities for practical applications as the electrode material for lithium-ion batteries, electric keys, field-effect transistors, photodetectors and supercapacitors.
Tin diselenide (SnSe2) powder is obtained via the CVT method, with a purity in excess of 99.995% achieved.
Tin diselenide (SnSe2) powder is suitable for liquid chemical exfoliation to prepare SnSe2 nanosheets and nanoparticles down to few-layer films. SnSe2 powder is also used for preparation of mono-layer and few-layer films via chemical vapour deposition (CVD).
Literature and Reviews
- Layer-dependent properties of SnS2 and SnSe2 novel two-dimensional materials, J. Gonzalez et al., Phys. Rev. B 94, 125443 (2016); DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.94.125443.
- SnSe2 quantum dot sensitized solar cells prepared employing molecular, metal chalcogenide as precursors, Chem. Commun., 48, 3324–3326 (2012); DOI: 10.1039/c2cc17081g.
- Ultrathin SnSe2 Flakes Grown by Chemical Vapor Deposition for High-Performance Photodetectors, X. Zhou et al., Adv. Mater., 27, 8035–8041 (2015); DOI: 10.1002/adma.201503873.
- Designing the shape evolution of SnSe2 nanosheets and their optoelectronic properties, Y. Huang et al., Nanoscale, 7, 17375 (2015); DOI: 10.1039/c5nr05989e.
- Field-effect transistors of high-mobility few-layer SnSe2, C. Guo et al, Appl. Phys. Lett., 109, 203104 (2016); doi: 10.1063/1.4967744.
- Fast Photoresponse from 1T Tin Diselenide Atomic Layers, P. Yu et al., Adv. Funct. Mater., 26, 137–145 (2016); DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201503789.