Order Code: B261MSDS sheet
|Molecular weight||220.26 g/mol|
|Classification / Family||
Thiophenes, Monomers, Building blocks, Carbazoles, Heterocycles, Polymer synthesis, Semiconductor synthesis, Intermediates for high performance, Organic Photovoltaics
Benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene is a planar symmetrical molecular structure of the thiophene derivative, enabling a better π-π stacking and good electron delocalization that encourages charge transport. In recent years, it has been intensively studied for the application of OFETs and OPVs. The incorporation of a low-band-gap unit into the benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene unit could potentially result in a red-shifted absorption due to its electron-rich properties. Benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene can be chemically modified to fine-tune its chemical structure and electron properties (e.g. band gap), energy levels, and charge mobility of the small molecule/polymers of interest (at a molecular level).
Benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene (BDT) backboned polymers or small molecules thus provides a relatively better device performance. The following is a good example of a finely tuned structure being synthesised with Benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene as a starting material.
(view full version)
Literature and Reviews
- Utilizing alkoxyphenyl substituents for side-chain engineering of efficient benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b′]dithiophene-based small molecule organic solar cells, Z. Du, et al., Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 17, 17391-17398 (2015)
- Thieno[3,2‑b]thiophene-Substituted Benzo[1,2‑b:4,5‑b′]dithiophene as a Promising Building Block for Low Bandgap Semiconducting Polymers for High-Performance Single and Tandem Organic Photovoltaic Cells, J-H. Kim, et al., Chem. Mater., 26, 1234−1242 (2014)
- New Benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene-Based Small Molecules Containing Alkoxyphenyl Side Chains for High Efficiency Solution-Processed Organic Solar Cells, Z. Du, et al., ChemSusChem, 7, 3319 – 3327 (2014)
- Polybenzo[1,2-b:4,5-b’]dithiophene Derivative with Deep HOMO Level and Its Application in High-Performance Polymer Solar Cells, L. Huo et al., Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 49, 1500 –1503 (2010)
- Bandgap and Molecular Energy Level Control of Conjugated Polymer Photovoltaic Materials Based on Benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b′]dithiophene, J. Hou et al., Macromolecules, 41, 6012-6018 (2008)