CAS Number 472960-35-3
Fast and secure
PolyTPD, excellent HTL material for photovoltaics
High quality polymer available with free shipping on qualifying orders
Poly(N,N'-bis-4-butylphenyl-N,N'-bisphenyl)benzidine, also known as polyTPD, is an excellent hole transport layer material used in photovoltaics such as perovskite solar cells. It has also proven polyTPD is a promising HTL candidate in multilayer WPLEDs because its HOMO level 5.2 eV is very close to the work function of the indium tin oxide ITO/PEDOT:PSS anode.
PolyTPD from Ossila was used in the high-impact paper (IF 13.281), Self-Powered Low-Cost UVC Sensor Based on Organic-Inorganic Heterojunction for Partial Discharge Detection, T. Park et al., Small, 2100695 (2021); DOI: 10.1002/smll.202100695.
As the highest occupied molecular orbital (HOMO) of polyTPD matches well with the VB of the perovskite, which allows for a good transport of holes towards the polyTPD, it is a popular semiconducting material candidate that is used in the HTL of the perovskite structures. And also as the LUMO of polyTPD is significantly closer to vacuum compared with that of the perovskite CB, polyTPD efficiently blocks the flow of electrons .
Like PTAA, polyTPD is one of the family members of poly(triaryl)amines.
|Molecular Weight||See batch information below|
|HOMO / LUMO||HOMO 5.2 eV LUMO 2.3 eV |
|Recommended Solvents||Toluene, THF, Chloroform, Chlorobenzene|
|Classification / Family||Poly(triarylamines), Organic semiconducting materials, Hole transport layer materials (HTL), Electron block layer material (EBL), Organic Photovoltaics, Polymer Solar Cells, Light-emitting Diodes, Quantun Dot Light-emitting Diodes, OFETs and Perovskite hole transport layer materials|
|Device Structure||ITO/PEDOT:PSS/PVK:polyTPD (1:1 wt%) 50 nm/PFO:MEH-PPV*(95.5:0.5 wt%) 70 nm/Ca/Al |
|Max. Luminance||~ 5,000 cd/m2|
|Max. Current Efficiency||3.15 cd/A|
|Device Structure||ITO/P(VDF-TrFE-CFE) (1000 nm)/poly-TPD:F4TCNQ (7%, 70 nm)/ PVK:OXD-7:Ir(ppy)3 (150 nm)/TmPyPB(40 nm)/LiF(1 nm)/Al(150 nm) |
|Max. Luminance||13,800 cd/m2|
|Max. Current Efficiency||76.2 cd/A|
|Max. Power Efficiency||17.1 lm W−1|
|Device Structure||ITO/PEDOT:PSS(30 nm)/poly-TPD(40 nm)/DNA-CTMA*(20 nm)/PFO:MEH-PPV (70 nm)/Cs2CO3(1 – 2 nm)/Al |
|Max. Luminance||10,500 cd/m2|
|Max. Current Efficiency||10 cd/A|
*For chemical structure informations please refer to the cited references
|Device Structure||ITO/polyTPD/CH3NH3PbI3/PCBM/C60/BCP/Ag ||ITO/PEDOT:PSS/CH3NH3PbI3/PCBM/C60/BCP/Ag |
|JSC (mA cm-2)||22.0||11.3|
|VOC (V)||1.0 (1.1a)||0.79|
PolyTPD as a HTL to compare with PEDOT:PSS a) 1.0 V in the supporting information and 1.1 V in the body text of the cited lit. 
|M521||100 – 150 kDa||Discontinued|
|M0521A2||41 kDa||16.4 kDa||2.5||Discontinued|
Literature and Reviews
- Bright, multicoloured light-emitting diodes based on quantum dots, Q. Sun et al., Nat. Photonics, 1, 717 - 722 (2007); doi:10.1038/nphoton.2007.226.
- Multilayer white polymer light-emitting diodes with deoxyribonucleic acid-cetyltrimetylammonium complex as a hole-transporting/electronblocking layer, Q. Sun et al., Appl. Phys. Lett., 92, 251108 (2008); doi: 10.1063/1.2948864.
- Electro-optics of perovskite solar cells, Q. Lin et al., Nat. Photonics, 9, 106–112 (2015); doi:10.1038/nphoton.2014.284.
- Enhanced performance of white polymer light-emitting diodes using polymer blends as hole-transporting layers, Q. Sun et al., Appl. Phys. Lett., 89, 153501 (2006); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.2360248.
- Perovskite solar cells employing organic charge-transport layers, O. Malinkiewicz et al., Nat. Photonics 8, 128–132 (2014); doi:10.1038/nphoton.2013.341.
- High-Efficiency Solution-Processed Planar Perovskite Solar Cells with a Polymer Hole Transport Layer, D. Zhao et al., Adv. Energy Mater., 5, 1401855 (2015); DOI: 10.1002/aenm.201401855.
- Solution-Processed Highly Efficient Alternating CurrentDriven Field-Induced Polymer Electroluminescent Devices Employing High- k Relaxor Ferroelectric Polymer Dielectric, Y. Chen et al., Adv. Funct. Mater., 24, 1501–1508 (2014); DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201302587.
- Pure Formamidinium-Based Perovskite Light-Emitting Diodes with High Efficiency and Low Driving Voltage, L. Meng et al., Adv. Mater., 29, 1603826 (2017); DOI: 10.1002/adma.201603826.
To the best of our knowledge the information provided here is accurate. The values provided are typical at the time of manufacture and may vary over time and from batch to batch. Products may have minor cosmetic differences (e.g. to the branding) compared to the photos on our website. All products are for laboratory and research and development use only.