FTO Glass Substrates (Unpatterned)
Fast and secure
Change of specification: S302 is now 1mm thick (from 1.1mm) and S2004S1 is now 2.1mm thick (from 2.2mm).
FTO (Fluorine-doped Tin Oxide) glass is a transparent conductive metal oxide that can be used in the fabrication of transparent electrodes for thin film photovoltaics, such as: organic photovoltaic, amorphous silicon, cadmium telluride, dye-sensitised solar cells, and hybrid perovskites. FTO glass also has a varied range of other applications, including touch screen displays, electromagnetic interference/radio frequency interference shielding, heated glass, anti-static coatings, and light-emitting diodes. There are several properties of FTO glass that make it suitable for the fabrication of a wide range of optoelectronic devices: these include low surface resistivity, high optical transmittance, scratch and abrasion resistant, thermally stable up to high temperatures, and inert to a wide range of chemicals.
Ossila supply four types of FTO-coated glass for sale: these are TEC 7 (2.2mm), TEC 8 (2.2mm thick glass), TEC 10 (1mm/1.1mm/3.2mm thick glass), and TEC 15 (2.1/2.2mm thick glass). Each offer different conductivities and surface roughness to suit a variety of applications.
- TEC 8 FTO offers the highest conductivity for applications where low series resistances are crucial.
- TEC 10 FTO offers both high conductivity and high surface uniformity where both properties are crucial for the fabrication of high performance electronic devices.
- TEC 15 FTO offers the highest surface uniformity for applications where thin films are to be used.
|Substrate||TEC 8||TEC 10||TEC 15|
|Size||20mm x 15mm||25mm x 25mm||20mm x 15mm||25mm x 25mm||20mm x 15mm||20mm x 15mm||25mm x 25mm|
|Glass Thickness||2.2 mm||1 mm||1.1 mm||3.2 mm||2.2 mm||2.1 mm|
|Glass Type||Soda Lime Glass|
|FTO Type||NSG Tec 8A||NSG Tec 10||NSG Tec 15|
|FTO Thickness||600 nm||750 nm||400 - 450 nm|
|FTO Quoted Sheet Resistance||6 - 9 Ω/square||11 - 13 Ω/square||12 - 14 Ω/square|
|FTO Measured Sheet Resistance*||6.70 ± 0.27 Ω/square||9.39 ± 0.38 Ω/square||12.46 ± 0.50 Ω/square|
|FTO Roughness||34.8 nm||45 nm||12.5 nm|
|FTO Work Function||4.4 eV - 4.7 eV|
|Packaging||Adhesive-free surface protection tape and cardboard box|
*Sheet resistances measured using the Ossila Four-Point Probe System.
Currently, Ossila does not offer custom substrate sizes. We may offer additional sizes in the future based on demand. If you would like to make a suggestion, then please leave a request on our feedback page.
Below are the transmission spectra for the different types of FTO, the graphs can be viewed full-size by clicking on the thumbnails.
|TEC 8||TEC 10||TEC 15|
FTO Processing Guide
FTO Coated Glass Etching
For etching of the FTO-coated glass, you will need the following products: TEC 8/TEC 10/TEC 15 FTO glass, etch resistant tape, Zinc Powder, Hydrochloric Acid, Cotton Buds, and Multimeter. The following is a step-by-step guide for the etching of FTO coatings. This can be downloaded as a PDF, and an additional instructional video is provided.
- Prepare a 2M HCl solution
- Place an etch resistant tape onto the FTO glass substrate.
- Coat the FTO glass substrate in a layer of Zinc Powder.
- Cover the remaining Zinc Powder with the 2M HCl solution and wait for the reaction to finish.
- Using a cotton bud, firmly wipe away the etched area of the substrate and rinse with DI water.
- Using a multimeter check the resistance across the etched area, this should be in excess of MOhms. If not, repeat the etching steps again.
FTO Coated Glass Cleaning
For cleaning of the FTO-coated glass after etching, you will need the following products: FTO glass, substrate rack, Hellmanex iii, isopropyl alcohol, and UV Ozone Cleaner. The following is a step-by-step guide for cleaning FTO-coated glass. This can be downloaded as a PDF, and an additional instructional video is provided.
- Sonicate etched FTO Glass for 5 minutes in hot (70°C) DI water with the addition of 1% Hellmanex.
- Dump-rinse twice in boiling DI water.
- Sonicate etched FTO Glass for 5 minutes in Isopropyl alcohol.
- Dump-rinse twice in boiling DI water.
- Dry the etched FTO Glass using filtered compressed gas.
- Place the etched FTO Glass into the UV Ozone cleaner and leave for 10 minutes.
To the best of our knowledge the information provided here is accurate. The values provided are typical at the time of manufacture and may vary over time and from batch to batch. Products may have minor cosmetic differences (e.g. to the branding) compared to the photos on our website. All products are for laboratory and research and development use only.